It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: Decorah Eagles 2018
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:40 pm 

D29, first hatch of Decorah eagles this season, is on the way! Should be here tonight or tomorrow. Parents are talking to the egg and dad is bringing in fresh grass.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:08 pm 

D29 did hatch this morning! "Welcome to the world, D29! Decorah's first 2018 eaglet hatched this morning at 7:25 CDT. Congratulations to Mom and Dad Decorah, and a million thanks to our excellent camera operators and moderators for sharing the egg-citement this morning. Squeeee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00Cy80K-91c

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:07 pm 
Site Admin

Oh yay! Thanks for letting us know, Pat. I'm sorry I missed it.

act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:05 pm 

D30 won't be far behind. New "pip" this morning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:43 pm 
Site Admin

YAY! I hope all 3 hatch this year. There's nest I read about (can't remember where, now), that one of the 2 babies in it fell to it's death after winding up between some of the "rails" and it kept sliding downward. There was another nest where one's little talon got stuck, so they climbed up and got it loose, took it down to have a vet check it. Once it was determined to be just fine, it was taken back up to the nest and all is good. I believe that was the D.C. nest. Heck, I can't remember much of anything these days, except dr. appts. SIGH!

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:29 am 
Site Admin

There are now two little bobbleheads. And, someone said they think they spotted a pip in the 3rd egg. YAY!

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:45 pm 

Yep, the third one should hatch before the day is over. Still sad about Decorah North though. They thought she might lay more eggs but it's a little late in the season now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:55 pm 

And then there were three! The third eaglet did hatch late last night. Mom and Dad Decorah are the best parents. :;manyhearts:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:57 am 
Site Admin

Yes they are. I'm amazed at how an animal that they say feels no emotion can be so caring and attentive to their young. The local eagles are doing the same. I still prefer watching the Decorah ones when I can, because I got hooked on them 6 or 7 years ago when they were at the old nest. I believe I read that one of their offspring (might have a transmitter on it for them to know) has been sort of eyeing that first nest, so they are wondering if possibly it might use it next year once it finds a mate. Where ever any of them wind up, they had good teachers in their parents.s I hope they somehow remember it, since they don't mate until they're around 5 years old.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:15 pm 

Well this is good news for Decorah North! There are now two eggs in the second clutch of the season. After the first egg was lost, there was speculation as to whether the could be more this year. This pair just hasn't had very good luck with eaglets so I hope they do better with this second try. On the original Decorah nest, everything is going fine.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Pat! I haven't been able to check in because this past week was full of dr. appts. I'm so happy for the North parents. I hope it goes well this time.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:49 am 

It seems reports of a second egg at Decorah North was premature. There is only one egg but hopefully this one will hatch. The other 3 eaglets are just too darn cute!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:54 pm 

Never under estimate Mrs North!! During a snow storm today, she did lay a second egg.

Mrs. North delivered another egg during the snowstorm this afternoon! She flew into the nest at 12:58, changed places with Mr. North, and laid the egg shortly after with not much egg labor noticed. The final push came at 1:16 CDT, and our first sight of the egg came at 1:17CDT. Given the weather, we got just a glimpse of it before she covered it back up. Congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. North! I sure wish we could get Bob's opinion on the egg-straordinary events at the North nest this year!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Oh I hope they are successful with this clutch. And yes, the other 3 are just precious. I try to look in every day, but lately, I've had to take a 2nd pill for my back during the day (usually take it at night) and it tends to make me very drowsy. I only take it when I know I don't have to drive or anything. I wish I could watch as much as I used to.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:44 pm 

Really disturbing news from Decorah. Dad hasn't been seen for over two days. There has been a male eagle sighted near the nest and even flying with mom but they have determined it isn't dad. Mom can take care of the eaglets by herself but as they grow and demand more food and care, she will be stressed. Here's the latest update from Raptor Resource Project.

Raptor Resource Project
29 mins ·
I am truly sorry to tell everyone this. Following our boots on the ground observations today, we are pretty comfortable saying that UME is not Dad Decorah. As watchers know, he has not behaved as we would expect Dad to behave - he hasn't spelled Mom on the nest or come down to feed the eaglets. While we truly wish we could tell you this was Dad, we no longer believe it is. Mom was observed perching near unidentified male eagle (UME) and flying with him earlier today, and he doesn't appear to represent a threat to the eaglets. D29, D30, and D31 have spent the day lazing and stuffing themselves in the nest, and seem to be enjoying the sunny, warm weather.
We will continue to observe the eagles tomorrow and will launch a wider search for Dad. Thank you for your understanding and your support during a pretty tough period for all of us.