It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:13 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Decorah Eagles 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 am 
Site Admin

I just looked in on the nest and both mom and dad were there. They seemed to be trying to dig away the snow, possibly working on the egg cup. We shall see. It shouldn't be too long before she lays that first egg.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
Thomas E. Lawrence

Post subject: Re: Decorah Eagles 2018
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Yep. They moved out of the way and I could see a definite formation of what will be the egg cup. They are now bringing in softer material like straw (well it's soft for them anyway, and an insulator), so it does look like they are preparing their "house" for a new brood. YAY!

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Well, that egg cup has formed and disappeared several times. LOL! Hopefully, something will happen soon, though. They have a new link to the camera and a different chat for those who might participate. I never have, but thought about it a few times. LOL!

https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams/decorah-eagles/

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:02 pm 

Thanks for the new link, Lori - it loads much more quickly than the old Ustream one! I'll make sure to bookmark it at home (work probably would frown on me streaming it :lol: )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:54 am 
Site Admin

We have our first egg at Decorah and I missed it. She laid it on Wed. evening (she always lays in the evening). I just happened to tune in and caught her rolling it, then laying back on it. If she keeps to her pattern, she'll lay the 2nd one tomorrow evening, then 2 days after, her 3rd, if there's going to be a 3rd one. I really hope I can watch more this year.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:27 pm 
Site Admin

Naturally, I didn't get to check in on the nest yesterday, being at Josh and Tiffany's and having so much going on. But, true to form, she laid her 2nd egg last evening, 3 days after the first one. If she continues her usual pattern, she'll lay the 3rd one tomorrow evening, "if" there's going to be a 3rd.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:08 am 

I've been keeping up with them. Still waiting on an egg in Decorah North.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:11 am 

Ugh, I missed both of them!! I'll need to make sure to watch tonight and tomorrow. And in a few weeks when the little fluff balls will be emerging!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

The North nest is announcing they have an egg, but the picture shows a completely empty nest. There's an egg cup but I don't see an egg, nor a parent.

https://www.raptorresource.org/birdcams ... orth-nest/

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

OK now I'm seeing the mom or dad laying in the north nest. I guess what I saw today was a pre-recorded piece.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:34 pm 

Ugh, I forgot all about tonight being the probably night for egg #3 til just now and I missed it by about an hour. :(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:42 am 
Site Admin

I missed it too. I'm just not on my computer as much these days and using my phone, even though the kids got me a bigger smart phone to help me see things easier, I forget about it a lot. LOL! I'm glad she kept to her routine of 3. Now let's see what the north nest does.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:04 am 
Site Admin

It appears there's still only one egg at the north nest, with the first being laid on Feb. 25th. Two of the three died last year, so I was hoping she'd also lay three, like our original mom does.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:45 pm 

Raptor Resource is reporting that the one egg at Decorah North has been lost.

Dear Friends, We are deeply saddened to report that the one egg at Decorah North Nest laid on February 25th was lost today in the early morning hours. Mrs North had gotten up for a change of position and the egg was already stuck to her chest, indicating that it had been crushed or collapsed, and the contents were oozing out. Clearly, there was something wrong with the shell, but we are uncertain yet at this point whether the egg was infertile or unviable. We'd like our eagle biologists to weigh in with their opinions and we'll update as we know more.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 am 
Site Admin

Oh no. I hate hearing this. Thanks for letting us know, Pat. I haven't checked in in 2 days. :(

Thomas E. Lawrence