It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:25 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:20 pm 

Things are not going well for this new nest. Another of the eaglets has died and mom was ill. They think they were poisoned by something they ate but aren't certain. Dad and DN1 appear to be ok but the cameras have now been turned off on that nest. Here are the most recent posts from yesterday and today.

WEDNESDAY 6 AM
At Decorah North Nest, we are watching a very urgent and sad situation that looks like it could be the result of poisoning by something the eagles ate. We are recording and monitoring what is going on for possible action or intervention, but have purposely decided that this should not be broadcast to the public.
We don't know anything more at this time, but wish to express our sincere thanks for all of your good thoughts and well wishes as we are working through this tough time! We will give reports here as we continue to monitor privately and work with other agencies.

Decorah North Nest Update WEDNESDAY
8:20am CT - Here is a brief morning update.
Mom is resting in the nest and appears to be more alert than she was yesterday evening. Dad is perched nearby on a favorite branch. DN1 looks normal (still) and is resting also. There is a constant gentle rain in the area and we are continually monitoring the situation. We are talking with various permitting agencies and determining the best course of action under the circumstances. Thank you for your care and concern. We will give an update later today on progress.
9:15pm CT - A quick note from Amy: We have two eagle experts, including a veterinarian, monitoring the eagles privately tonight. Thanks for all of your good wishes and prayers for the eagle family. They are much appreciated.
RRP Executive Director, John Howe, sadly announces that it appears DN2 has passed. RRP closed the live camera view some time ago to spare viewers additional heartache, but privately monitoring the camera, DN2 has not been observed to be breathing for several hours.
We do know that DN1 is active, alert and was playing with sticks and nest fluff. Mom North is standing, flapping her wings, and looking like she may be recovering a bit. Dad has been observed off on the distant perch branch.
RRP is continuing to monitor the situation, and it is now dark in Decorah. RRP is also networking with other agencies and we will keep you posted as we keep a close eye on The North’s. We will also do our best to try and figure out the cause of today’s events to the best of our ability with other experts.
We have no other information at this time, and would are not able to address any other questions except for what is stated in this update. We sincerely appreciate all your kind thoughts, positive energy and prayers for the North Nest family.

THURSDAY 10 am.
Decorah North Mom is alive and has flown from the nest. Dad was seen earlier on the yonder perch branch, and DN1 is alive and has been exhibiting normal behavior. We are discussing the next steps and will keep everyone posted. I don't have time to round up photos now, but we will post some as soon as we can.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Oh no! I haven't been watching or checking in on their FB page lately. Lots going on for me this week.

If they did eat something that was poisoned, I sure hope the other nest doesn't get any of it. The nests are close enough to each other that our favorite Decorahs could find the same food sources. Oh, I so hope that's not the case. What an awful tragedy for the north nest family. I hope mom is ok. It sounds like she's pulling out of it.
Thanks for posting, Pat. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:26 pm 

Here is the latest news.

7:13pm CT - Decorah North Nest Update!
Amy reports that it has been an all day process, but permits were signed off on, a climbing team assembled, and DN2 was retrieved from the nest via a pole from 20 ft below. DN2 will be taken for a necropsy tomorrow with our veterinarian who works with SOAR.
Dad has been seen, Mom has been flying and is now in the nest with DN1, and while we don't know if it has eaten, it is robust and active, and there is food in the nest. Amy has photos and will write a blog that will post later tonight or tomorrow.
The camera will remain off for live viewing for a bit longer, but I do not have a timetable for when we will be live streaming again. In the meantime, thank you all for the incredible strength and support you have shown to RRP and hopefully we will have some answers soon as to cause of death of DN2

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

Thank you Pat. I wasn't able to check in on anything because I had to be at the hospital early. Will explain in the members only forum.

I hope the necropsy will give them the needed answers. RRP does such amazing work in helping us all learn more about Eagles and nature in general, as we've gotten to witness the food chain and life cycles of them.