It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:28 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: Our Decorah Eagles!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:19 pm 
Site Admin

I watched the debate, ....the "did she or didn't she" debate last night, not the political one (just can't take anymore of that rhetoric right now), and saw it confirmed this morning, but didn't get here to post. Thanks Pat. From what I gather, the 3rd one came a lot easier, though most did not see it due to technical issues. It seems that some viewers on certain servers did see it, but not RRP and many of the rest of us.

All 3 eggs were laid on the exact same dates as last year! YAY for another eggciting season of eagle watching! ::Boingboing:: ::Boingboing:: ::Boingboing:: ::Boingboing::

act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:07 pm 

Just checked the nest - according to the mods, no pips yet. But they expect hatching to begin today thru Tuesday. Good thing I'm home this weekend!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

At one point, I thought I saw on FB that they said there had been a hatch at the nest, but then I checked and it wasn't true, nor was the post there anymore. Might have been related to another nest and someone mistook it to be our Decorah nest. I'll be looking in as much as possible tomorrow.

There's yet another nest in DC at the police academy but I forgot to get the link and post it. Looks like a very good year for Eagles all over the country.

This evening we had about a dozen huge raptors flying overhead, but couldn't tell what they were. I think they may have been Cooper's hawks, or maybe White tailed hawks. They weren't big enough to be Eagles and they definitely weren't my red tails. Never saw that many at one time. I tried to get pictures, but my stupid little camera just doesn't zoom like it should. They were moving away by the time I got back to the porch with the camera.

BUT, I'm looking on ebay for a good used camera. That however, is another story, not for this thread. LOL!

Here's hoping we get a pip and/or hatch for Easter!

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:45 pm 

The first Decorah egg of the season is about to hatch!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:53 pm 

I think I can see it under mom's side right now (6:52 PM EDT)! Edit: or maybe not - might just be a loose feather... :?
Edit 2 - yep, loose feathers. Sigh.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

I saw something earlier about there may be a pip in one egg, but I haven't had time to check back in. I've been busy helping out with Misty's family after the death I mentioned in the private section.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:31 am 

D24 arrived over night. Haven't been lucky enough to see it yet though. Will be crazy to have 6 eaglets to watch this year.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Yes and that's just in Decorah. There are 2 nests in DC that my sister keeps me updated on, plus they have one egg (so far) by a non-releasable pair in Dollywood's American Eagle Foundation sanctuary. There are a few others that I try to check out from time to time. Looks like a great season!

We hope to get out to the lake soon, to see what kind of eagle activity is going on there. We see one bald eagle almost every time we head to Josh's, in the same location, but didn't see it on Easter. :(
I managed to find a fantastic deal on a used camera (a Nikon) and was able to get a warranty on it for very little from Square Trade. It should be here Thursday. I can't wait to try it out and taking pics of raptors is one of my main objectives to having a good camera, one with a viewfinder, so I can actually see what I'm shooting. LOL! That was one thing, aside from a dishwasher, that I told Rich I'd like to get when he got his money and both "dreams" are now fulfilled. LOL!

Looking so forward to Eagle raising season and I hope they all thrive and live long healthy lives!

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:45 pm 

D25 arrived this afternoon. I got a quick peak at both hatchlings earlier tonight when Mom did a shuffle. D26 can't be far behind! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:41 am 
Site Admin

I thought I saw something as I skimmed news feed, but didn't have to time to check it further. Hope things soon settle down around here so that I can sit and watch for a while and grab some captures.

thanks for the update Lego! ::Boingboing:: ::Boingboing:: ::Boingboing:: ::Boingboing::

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:52 am 
Site Admin

Well, it looks like we're only going to see 2 babies raised in the original nest this year. It's getting beyond the possible hatch date for the last egg. Either it was never fertile, or non-viable. Some of the RRP people speculate that this one was actually the first egg she laid this year. Since being so sick, I've lost track of things and need to try and catch up. But, we do have 2 little bobbleheads eating and growing. ---Plus, we have the 2nd nest up on the bluff about a mile from this one, and they are incubating 3 eggs, as well. Their hatch time will soon be here. :)

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:09 pm 

RRP posted on Facebook either yesterday or Sunday that D25 was found dead along side a road. They believe s/he might have been hit by a car while scavenging from a dead animal. So now it is just D24 from this year's brood. It's a shame how many eaglets do not survive to adulthood. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

I saw something pop up in my notices on FB, but the computer was behaving badly and I never got to see it. How sad! This just hasn't been a good year for our Eagles, has it? :(

Thomas E. Lawrence