It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:49 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Our Decorah Eagles!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:01 am 
Site Admin

I need to catch everyone up on the goings on in Decorah Iowa.

First, we lost Bob Anderson in July. He is the one who was instrumental in getting cameras set up to view our favorite pair of eagles. He fell ill in Spring, with what sounds like a similar problem to the one I have, but evidently, he was not fitted with a device or anything; not yet anyway.

All 3 of the eaglets from this season fledged with no problems, that we know of. Due to Bob's death, none were captured and tagged or radioed. Bob had already chosen a successor in the event something happened to him and it's already going very well.

In August, a very very violent storm, came through, tore the tree apart and knocked nest N2 down. They were able to recover all the camera equipment and it was intact. They came up with an idea to build a new starter nest, using material from the fallen one, mount the cameras in that tree, and see if the eagles took to it. They baited it with small animal carcasses and natural meat jerky. They still have cameras mounted in the original N1 nest and they baited it with squirrel. The squirrels were taken from the tree, but they evidently decided they liked the new digs better. Both parents are in the nest, named N2B (for Bob) as I type this. They are bringing in sticks and leaves, doing their usual Fall "nestorations" to get it ready. YAY! The cameras are mounted in a way to give us a much closer view, when they zoom in. As I watched just a minute ago, I felt like I could reach out and touch their feathers. They chose this tree to attempt this new nest because it has a great big limb, good for "branching" as they young learn to fly-hop from place to place.

If you scroll down this blog page, you can see pics of the new nest being constructed, as well as see that it's big enough for a grown man to sit in. It will get even bigger as the eagles work on it. They put wooden braces underneath it to help make it more sturdy for the future, since they always add pounds and pounds of material every year.

http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2015 ... -nest.html

So, it looks like things are well under way for us to have another great season of Eaglets in 2016. Here's the link to the live feed.

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

They have also discovered another nest about a mile or so from this one. It's on private property, and they hope to get permission in time, to mount cameras at that one, as well.

Post subject: Re: Our Decorah Eagles!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:33 pm 

That's great that the eagles have chosen the starter nest!! I hope I have more time to watch them this year (even tho I did see one egg laid this year. :) )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:36 am 
Site Admin

The eagles have been very busy working on the man made nest. They have enlarged it quite a bit. They haven't laid much soft bedding yet, so it's still not quite nesting time, but they sure do seem to like the new digs. LOL!

Also, for the Spring season, there will be another cam on a newly discovered nest about a mile away from N2B. It is on private property, so they will not disclose it's exact location, but the owners did give permission for them set up cameras in the tree.

I'm excited to know we'll have 2 pair to watch at his camera alone.

There is a nesting pair in FL that have already started laying eggs. I don't have much info on that one, but will try to find out and post about it. If someone else can get the info, please do post it in a separate thread. We're all so busy right now, so it might be a few weeks before any of us can track down links. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:09 am 
Site Admin

It's getting close to time to start checking in on the nest more frequently. I have not kept up with their FB page as much lately, but I am assuming that the mating ritual has started between them, if they haven't already begun copulating. Due to everything that has gone on in our lives, I cannot recall how long after mating, we can start the first phase of the "egg watch", waiting on her lay. ---Will she give us 3 again, or just 2. Two is actually the "typical" number, so Mrs. Decorah has single "wingedly" brought us more than her fair share every year. Of course, we've lost a few after fledging, but that's certainly not due to any lack of care by mom or dad. I'm looking forward to another SUCCESSFUL year at Decorah. --Plus, lets not forget, there is a 2nd nest we'll be able to watch, that's been discovered in the same region.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:15 am 
Site Admin

Looks like we're getting closer and closer to nesting season. The eagles are bringing in more and more nesting material, ie: soft grasses and straw, etc. Naturally, Dad will continue to bring in his "logs" for their nice home, but every time I've checked in lately, I see more "fluff" has been added. Looking forward to the 2nd nest they've discovered as well. I haven't seen that they've posted a link to that one yet, nor have I seen anything else said. Maybe that pair decided to build a new one, so no point in turning the camera on at that one.

Plus, they found an adult female suffering from lead poisoning the other day in that area. They do know she isn't "our" female, and she's not one of their brood that has chosen to remain in the area. It could be the female that the other nest belongs to. Right now, they believe she was found in time to save her. They get lead poisoning from eating animals that have either ingested lead from bullets and such, or from deer carcasses that were shot with lead. They are trying to get lead bullets//buckshot outlawed all over the country, because it is harmful to any animal that ingests it, often more so than we humans can suffer from lead poisoning.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:40 am 
Site Admin

According to the egg-sperts, we should be egg-pecting now. Their blog has given the past egg laying dates and they expect this year's laying to fall within the same time frame. If they are true to their usual habit, we will fall into that very rare category of 3 eggs again. They've laid 3 every year that they've been watched, except for the very first year when they laid 2. There was no camera on them then, however.
http://raptorresource.blogspot.com/2016 ... cting.html

i know that not everyone gets as excited about this as a few of us do, but well, I am ready for another season of bobbleheads, wingercising, and camera hopping. ::Boingboing:: ::Boingboing::

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:26 am 

I saw their post this morning that the pair has been heard making whoopie. I sure hope things go well for the fledglings this year. The eagle parents do their job then nature and man made dangers take their toll.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, me too, Pat. Those wonderful parents do an amazing job, but yes, nature and man sometimes interfere in the end.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Well, I totally missed it but the first egg arrived last evening just before 7:30 eastern time. Shooot! I was online then, too. Just didn't quite think it was time yet, because when I checked in earlier, they were still bringing in "fluff" and no nest bowl was created. I saw a squirrel laying there though.

So it begins! Good luck to our favorite mom and dad Eagle and a healthy season of babies!
http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:03 am 

I saw the notice last night but didn't see the arrival. Hard to imagine that these two eagles have raised 23 and are all set to do it again. They sure are doing their best to bolster the eagle population. Wonder if they will have 3 again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:12 pm 
Site Admin

I hope they do and that all thrive, especially after the fledge. This was the first time in several years that I didn't time it right and get to see her laying. I just totally forgot to check in last night. It seems she always lays them in the evening//night time. Since they can hold the eggs for a while, maybe she just prefers the quieter time of day to lay them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:22 pm 

Thanks for posting that Lori! I knew it was getting close and forgot to check it last night (too busy getting ready for my trip north.) Sigh. I'm glad they have taken to that nest so well. I hope they raise 3 again this year and RRP gets at least one with a transmitter. And they all make it to adulthood. (Not asking for much, am I? :lol: )

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:52 am 
Site Admin

I keep looking for the "like" button to add to some posts. LOL! I need to find one and add it to the smilies. LOL!

I am really excited about another season and yes, I'm also happy they took to the N2B nest. Can't wait until the also get the camera rolling on the other nest the discovered not far from this one. I need to drive out to our lake/dam area and see if I can view any nests of the eagles out there, since the trees are barren right now. It's supposed to be nice today, so maybe Rich and I can do that. His back can usually handle the 10 mile drive out there. Or better still, maybe I can talk Jake into going and seeing them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:21 am 
Site Admin

We now have TWO eggs! ::Boingboing:: Thank you Legolas for texting me to remind me to check in. By the time my slow connection would let the live feed come through to me in a stable fashion, she had already laid it. She looked totally exhausted. More so than in other seasons. I just watched a video this morning of her laying and as Lego had told me, she did seem to be more uncomfortable with this one.

But it's here now, and if there's a 3rd, I hope it's much easier on her.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:48 am 

And now it's THREE!! D26 arrived last night. Looking for hatching to begin around March 27.