It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:33 am

All times are UTC-04:00

Post subject: Re: Decorah Eagles 2018
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Oh no! Such distressing news. Thanks for the update Pat. I just haven't had much time to check things out. I'm so heartbroken that something has indeed happened to him.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:23 pm 

That's so sad. I haven't been able to watch much either, Lori. Thanks for updating us, Pat. I'm taking some time to watch this afternoon and saw Mom feeding the eaglets. Once she settled she seemed to be searching for Dad. The update on FB today said he disappeared for 2 days last year and returned. Hoping he's just on a dadcation again this year. :nodnod:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:55 pm 

I've been watching most of the day. Just a bit ago the UME landed on the branch of the nest tree. Mom was on the nest and didn't seem all that bothered by him/her (with closeup shots I think it's a male.) And he didn't look at the nest at all. He flew off without a bat of an eye from her. Chat folks were speculating it might have been one of their offspring, but obv not one with a tracker.

She fed the eaglets a ton tonight using buried food mostly. But still no sign of Dad Decorah, and no further updates from RRP on FB. She keeps calling for him but no response. It's sad - I read the history of the Decorah eagles today while Mom was away from the nest and learned this pair has been together for 11 years, after a previous mate was with him for 5. So he is at least 21 years old, and possibly older. She is only about 15 (he was a cradle robber! :redrole: ) As long as it has been I fear something has happened to him and he will not return. Hopefully Mom can bring enough food to keep these three piggies fed!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:50 pm 

D29 and D30 have both fledged! D30 had an "accidental" fledge last Saturday but yesterday she was seen on nearby trees and flying around. And D29 fledged at some time early this morning - was on an adjacent tree early this morning and is still flitting around. D31 is still lingering around the nest on nearby branches but will probably fledge soon too. :clapclap:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:41 pm 

And now D31 has fledged!! A big cheer for Mom Decorah for raising these eaglets on her own. What an amazing season this has been. So much sadness for both nests and yet three new eagles to soar.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

At least I got to see a little more this year than I did last. I just hate that dad has disappeared and is probably dead. He was such a good one. Maybe she will hook up with the new one hanging around. I just hope he isn't the one who hurt our favorite dad. Soar high and long dear Eagles, soar high and long.