It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:30 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:26 am 
Site Admin

So, it seems that Decorah Iowa has become the "in spot" for eagles all of a sudden. there have been quite a few spotted, all in the area of the newer nest. Some have even been heard off camera.

This video (and others on the side view) shows 5 young and one adult eagle at a favorite watering hole near the north nest. That is wonderful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbhMkNcn7Y4

Here is the latest blog report which is great news
https://raptorresource.blogspot.com/201 ... -from.html

So, we are gearing up for a whole new season and hopefully one that has a far better outcome than last year. :clapclap: ::pray::

act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:41 am 

I'm looking forward to it. And definitely hoping for more success for the 2 pairs that are on camera! :clapclap:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:55 am 
Site Admin

Looks like we're getting ready for some serious nesting action on this one camera: http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles

I was checking in and both pair are in the nest (as of right now) under the infrared lighting. I assume it was mom that was adjusting the grasses and making her soft nest cup for herself. Then, she did her little shimmy and hunkered down into it, while dad took off. He quickly returned and hopped up onto a branch, still in the shot with this new camera mount. She got up again, adjusted the grasses some more, then again, did her little shimmy to get herself down into the cup. I cannot tell from infrared lighting, if there is an egg cup inside the primary nest cup or not. I'll try to remember to check in later.

The north camera nest never works when I try to view it. http://www.ustream.tv/exploreDecorahEaglesNorthNest Maybe I'm just trying at the wrong time, I don't know.

So, let's all hope it's going to be a good nesting season at both nests this year. ---Plus there's the one up on a bluff that doesn't have a camera, but they will monitor it as best they can.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:07 pm 

No sign of eggs for the original Decorah pair (Mom is perched on a branch in camera view right now) but the North nest has its first egg as of tonight!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:37 pm 
Site Admin

I just checked in and grabbed 2 caps as she turned it. YAY! Let's hope this is a fantastic season at all nests I don't have time to reduce them so they will show up rather large http://www.ustream.tv/exploreDecorahEaglesNorthNest

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:00 pm 

And now the original Decorah pair has an egg! Right about 8:30 ET tonight Mom Decorah laid the first egg of the season. I have a pic taken with my phone here:

https://pix.sfly.com/Rxj4J4

Had to update the link to see all the pics - added some screencaps. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:11 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the news and great shots Lego. I also appreciate you texting me to update me. When I looked in, as I told you, things were looking like it was a false alarm, with both of them hopping back and forth onto one of the branches, but it seems I was getting an old feed, despite it saying "live".

I know the rain doesn't bother her in the least, but man, she looks like she needs a spa day already. LOL!

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:59 pm 

She really did look like she needed a makeover after that LOL! Gonna check the nests tonight - I'll let you know if there is any activity!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:11 pm 
Site Admin

The north nest has Egg #2 now. She is a daytime layer, where as our original little mama still seems to prefer the dark of night. (maybe she prefers the privacy, or so she thinks. Little does she know how many eyes are on her.) LOL!

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

Sorry I've not been keeping up. The North nest now has 3 eggs in the clutch. WOOHOO!

Nothing else that I am aware of with our original pair. They have 2 now, and if she follows her usual pattern, #3, will come along sometime after dark this evening.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:17 pm 

I missed the North one - was watching it last night and the mom was exhausted, which made me think she'd laid the 3rd.

I checked the timing of all the previous nestings for the original pair and it's been 4 days between 2 & 3 every year they have been able to document. So I'm thinking Monday night but I'll be watching tonight too. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:31 am 
Site Admin

You're right Lego. I had it in my head that yesterday was day #4. At the moment, I am doing well to remember my name, so I'm giving myself a pass on that one. LOL!

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:17 am 

I figured that was the case!! And don't worry, I've been losing track of days left and right lately! :lol: I did watch until about 9 last night (until the chat ended) but she was sound asleep for the last 30+ minutes. Guessing she was saving energy for tonight! The bowl is very deep again this year so it is difficult to see the eggs even when they roll them. Oh, well, hopefully we will see #3 tonight!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:57 pm 

I've been remiss in checking the camera and missed D26's appearance yesterday. And there are 2 hatchlings at Decorah North. Eagles eagles everywhere!! :)

EDIT: And apparently D27 showed his fluffy face some time today so now there are 2 in the original Decorah nest. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:18 am 
Site Admin

Thank you Lego. I wasn't able to connect on my tablet while in the hospital. (some things worked, others didn't.) So, I'm a bit behind on all the latest. After your text and a post from Pat on my FB page (Pat, you need to get back in here!) I checked in and did see two little bobble heads being fed. One bite must have been too much because the little one promptly fell over, out of view, as soon as it got the bite in it's mouth. So, now it's time for our original pair to start hatching theirs. I hope there aren't any fertility problems, like there was with the one egg last year. Seems there are a lot of little bobbles being hatched around the country, but i worry about the stupid law enacted that iwll allow for lead buckshot. But, that's a topic for our other thread......

I'll try to grab some captures when I can. I'm still not up to speed from all this cardiac stuff, especially after forcing myself to go to the concert the other night. It took more out of me than I thought it would. SIGH!

Thomas E. Lawrence