It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:29 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:03 am 
Site Admin

This nest is huge according to what I've read. 9 feet across, so that gives you a bit better perspective of just how large these raptors are, if you've never seen one "in person".
It looks like they are digging out the egg cup in the nest, so hopefully, we'll have more eggs to keep an eye on very soon. I haven't yet learned which is mom or dad with this pair, since I just began watching them.

http://www.ustream.tv/exploreDecorahEaglesNorthNest

act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible."
Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:40 pm 
Site Admin

We have our first egg at the Decorah North nest! She chose daytime to lay hers but I didn't see it. I know it wasn't there this morning when I checked in. She was digging the nest bowl out and then took off for a while, but I haven't been back until just now. I saw a post on FB that egg #1 had been confirmed for this nest. YAY! That's 4 eggs total so far for that area. ::Boingboing::

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:41 am 
Site Admin

There are now 2 eggs at this other nest. So, if all goes well, there will be at least 5 new babies in that area alone. Woohoo! ::Boingboing::

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:29 pm 
Site Admin

And we now have 3 eggs at the north nest. So, both pair have fallen into the 4% category of laying 3 eggs. Here's hoping all 6 thrive, hatch, and fledge for long, healthy and safe lives!

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:52 pm 

Wow, that is great!! I haven't had time to catch much of the cameras this year. :(

I would bet the trout hatchery and local farms play a big part in the number of eggs at Decorah - plenty of food available = more eggs. ::Boingboing::

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:58 am 
Site Admin

I didn't even think about that, Lego. I guess fish is more than just brain food. LOL! I haven't checked in as often as I usually do, either, and of course, our original pair are still my faves. My sister makes sure I know what's going on with the DC pair, even though I've told her that I see it all in my news feed from the American Eagle Foundation. I'm having to teach her a lot about them, since she's never watched a nest as often as she is now. I'm amazed at what I've learned from our Decorah teachers. LOL!

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:19 am 
Site Admin

YAY! All 3 have hatched at the 2nd nest, so we have 5 young'uns to watch this year. The ones at the original nest are getting so big!

I have to say that the camera seems so much better on the 2nd nest and I love how they have expanded it to make it bigger without us having to open it up. No chat or anything, which I like too, because it's less distracting.

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 6:37 am 
Site Admin

Well shoot. They don't know why, but one of the babies at this nest died on Wed. They said it wasn't being fed as much as the other two, and it wasn't growing/thriving as well. The parents may have known something was wrong, so that's why they weren't feeding it as much. There was also a lot of aggression toward it from one of it's siblings, so I hope that didn't play a role in it's sad demise. :(

Thomas E. Lawrence

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:19 pm 

I was surprised to hear that too. I think it was 19 days old, that should have meant it was going to make it. You're right though, maybe the parents knew it wasn't a "good" eaglet. Might be why one of the others was so aggressive as usually they don't do that.